Friday 12 August 2011

DIY Barcode top


All you need to make a barcode top is a plain top, fabric paint and a pair of scissors. With black, squeeze bottle fabric paint you can do pretty much anything (Tulip Fabric Paint)
 

I did this top (left) in about three seconds. (Plus the 72 hours for complete drying.) Just use some card to drag out the wet paint to make it look deliberately untidy.



The barcode top took longer. If you’re going to do something more detailed get a picture from the internet. Make sure you squeeze the bottle hard if you’re going for long, straight lines in order to keep the paint flowing. Cut the top either before you start or after it’s dried. (Also, always put a piece of paper or card under the material you’re painting on just in case it goes through and ruins the back of the top.) The top I used was a three pound Primark vest top - size 16. Get a big size if you’re thinking of cropping it this much so it hangs over your boobs - if you get a size that fits you it’ll be tight and look less tasteful.
This kind of cropped top looks good with high-waisted shorts or jeans for the day or a body-con skirt for the night, with a strip of midriff showing - an 80’s look that’s been reinvented.
(We did use a barcode reading app on my dads iPhone to see if my barcode actually read anything. It didn’t.) The top cost me 6 pound in all and it’s one of a kind - make it your own J

PS. my friend asked me when I showed him, 'why a barcode though?' and I replied that it was a tattoo idea which I decided against, but it symbolises that we're all a product of a creator - which I think was a very well thought out meaningful answer! So that's your explaination if questioned!

No comments:

Post a Comment