Friday 26 August 2011

DIY hotpants

So I’ve been all over hot pants this summer and since I have way too many pairs of high-waisted shorts had to buy some.
I bought these powder pink denim hot pants from Topshop and paid £34 I wear them a lot but the price stopped me from buying another pair from the same place which I loved just as much. So I thought what better than to make them?
Find yourself a pair of jeans that fit and that you don’t want as jeans any more (I went for black due to my stupid amount of blue denim shorts.) As with everything, fold the legs and cut the majority of the leg off. Once most of the leg that’s getting in the way is gone, keep the jeans folded and cut in a diagonal line upwards - this way they wont be too long and able to be folded, which differentiates them from shorts, hot pants are meant to be very short! Try them on and adjust the cut accordingly. It’s likely that, if the jeans are a thin denim, that they wont fray nicely like shorts you buy in a shop, even if you try with a scissor blade. So my advise would be to fold the uneven bits (because I know better than anyone it is IMPOSSIBLE to cut in a perfectly straight line) pin, and sew.      
And your done. A pair of hot hotpants recycled from jeans you done want anymore! Certainly cheaper than buying them, more fun and, the reoccurring advantage, no one else has them!

Topshop vs DIY




I haven’t sewn all the way around my shorts yet, so I’ve been wearing them with one leg untidy, DON’T BE LAZY!
Ps. If the jeans are too tight for you they will be difficult to wear as hotpants as they will be too revealing and tasteless, hotpants are sexy, but make sure they fit well and you pull the off with class. I’m sure you can J

No comments:

Post a Comment